Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Beneath Contempt



A short personal rant. When I was writing about dignity and reflecting on the contempt I had heard the homeless spoken of with, I had to accept I been feeling some contempt myself just a few days before, as walking towards the Salvation Army in the company of fellow homeless we watched as a well dress couple scurried to load bags of vegetable and bread into their new, expensive vehicle. This was not the first time any of us had seen this type of thing (it happened again today, the day I enter these words into the computer from the paper they were written on). Some of the goods taken by these various persons end up for sale at locations around Abbotsford. Free goods = 100% profit.

Some come to the Salvation Army kitchen to take advantage of the fact it is free. Understand that I am not speaking of those on fixed incomes who find it necessary to stretch their incomes to cover monthly expenses by supplementing their food budgets in this manner. I speak of those who use the money they save on luxuries rather than necessities.

I see how some people need to be doing this to make ends meet and maintain their lifestyles. If that is what is happening I would suggest not buying that new car, the designer labeled clothing or that big SUV. In a simpler lifestyle you just may find some valuable inner truths and lessons (I certainly have). Leaving the food for those whose need arises out of having nothing to eat not out of greed. Despicable - especially those who themselves look with contempt upon the homeless, but feel it is perfectly alright to take food from the mouths of those with real need.

Contemptible – end of rant.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?