Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Letter re: Christians vs 'abbotsford christians'

Editor, Abbotsford Times

I just want to clear up a misunderstanding arising from the failure of the Times to properly put in quotation marks and use small letters instead of capitals. In my original letter sent to the Times and posted on the View from the Street page of homelessinabbotsford.com it was ‘abbotsford christians’. The use of small letters and quotation marks was to make it clear I was referring specifically to Gertie Pool and her like, her fellow ‘abbotsford christians’ as opposed to the practicing Christians of our city.

Those Christians who not only talk about their Christian principles but practice them in their daily lives. It disturbed me when I spoke to Gordon and his fellow Christians as they ministered to the hungry homeless and poor, that this failure on the part of the Times to use quotation marks and small letters to distinguish between the two groups (practicing and non-practicing) would cause him to think I would paint the Christians in our city with the same brush I would apply to the ‘abbotsford christians’.

Many Christians throughout the City strive to help those of their fellow citizens in need. If any of these felt I do not appreciate them, please stand corrected – I truly admire and appreciate your willingness to practice your Faith in your daily lives. In fact, the point I had hoped to make in my letter to Gertie Pool is that this city would be far better of with more Christians like you, who live your Faith as opposed to those who only talk their ‘faith’.

With apologies,
James W Breckenridge

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?