Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Letter to the Editor: pamphlet

I was sent a copy of the ‘pamphlet’ that Mr. Teichroeb claimed was given to the homeless as they were being forced to relocate in order that the city could ‘clean up’ the site they were occupying. Mr. Jim Wright forwarded it to me after he had received it from the City Manager of Bylaws.

1. This is a revised letter. In the original I failed to note the May 2005 revision date. I also could not find the Park Inn Hotel when I searched for Hotels and Motels in Abbotsford. I mistakenly thought that perhaps it was one of the hotels the city had earlier torn down, but being uncomfortable with making an assumption I widened my search (experience is that assumptions can cause problems, so I went back to widen the search in hopes of having fact not assumption) Further research turned up at 2509 Pauline Street: Park Inn Cold Beer & Wine Store; Park Inn Hotel – listed as a Bed & Breakfast; Station Pub & Restaurant. I am not sure what use this is to the homeless not of the wisdom/reason of including a wine and beer store and a pub on a list that is suppose to be of assistance in overcoming homelessness.

2. “General Housing Services”. I would never have considered a Motel to be “general housing services”. Calling a Motel “general housing services” is meaningless gibberish of the first order. Besides at $66.00 a night, if you can afford Super 8, you can afford housing in Abbotsford.

3. Should any readers of this letter have the misfortune to need to seek shelter and the much greater misfortune to be depending on the city for help and/or information in finding shelter (or help) do not waste time seeking the “William Booth Emergency Shelter” on Morey Street. Not there. And of course the Salvation Army Share & Care Centre has relocated.

4. Since this came from Gordon Ferguson it would appear that Mr. Teichroeb is not alone as a member of the city administration who lacks the ability to apply intelligent thought to the homeless situation. Why else would one be handing out an out-dated John Howard Society pamphlet (for newly released prisoners) to the homeless (note: I have not been able to locate a relocated homeless person who actually was handed this pamphlet). One would reasonable expect that city officials should be aware of major changes (front page reports in the local papers) in the city, such as the move of the Salvation Army.

Comments:
I am glad to have been able to get you this out-dated pamphlet.

In my conversation with the Mayor the other day he said that he had visited Compassion Park and saw the need.

He also stated that it didn't make sense what we were doing to our city's homeless by moving them around. In his words it was "wasting city resources, without finding a solution."

In a follow - up e-mail he is gong to set up a "homelessness taskforce." When that will be is not stated but at least he is being proactive.

He had asked police and by-law not to remove people from Compassion Park at that time. Could you please let me know if that changes because I will get in touch with council again.

I find it interesting that when I sent out a letter to all council members only 2 had the courtesy to respond as well as the Mayor himself.

Keep fighting the good fight

Jim Wright

abbypulse.blogspot.com
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?