Sunday, October 22, 2006

Letter Re: editor something cool news

Email from the editor of http://www.somethingcool.ca/

“Thanks for the email, as always. Do you have examples of this >treatment you are talking about or this just more of a general >feeling? If you have seen or heard of some things the powers that be >are doing that demonstrate these "inappropriate" behaviours, let me >know. I would like to bring attention to them and perhaps even get a >comment or two from Casey Vinet.”

Fred:

Hello. No it is not a "general feeling". I had one of the homeless I know who was upset about it tell me about being awoken 10 time in one night to move along. Several others have volunteered stories to me of the police once again repeatedly moving them along, not to anywhere specific just “Not Here”. I went back and spoke to the worker I mentioned who looked me up to say someone needed to say something about this. Since the closing of the Park numerous clients have been complaining of once again being woken up and told to move while they are sleeping. As the worker said to me, and I have asked in letters to the editor at the local paper and to "officials" in meetings, what is the point in waking them and telling them to move when they have nowhere to go - except further down the street, to be awoken and moved repeatedly. The thing is these stories/complaints were not being told during the time the Park was open. In fact while the Park was open the police just sent people there if they found them sleeping somewhere. I need to note that some of those complaining were at Compassion Park when it was open - makes one wonder just how the /city and Mr Guthrie (city manager) define successful since they claimed their actions vis-à-vis the Park and its residents were "successful".

One of the other things that I am hearing more of now is the homeless being stopped and searched or asked about stolen items. Actually I have witnessed this myself. One of the advantages I (and other homeless) derive from keeping our clothes and ourselves clean (and what a struggle that can be) is that we blend in, appearing to be “regular citizens”. Thus I have been walking down the street past a police officer who ignores me but accosts a homeless person (whose appearance is more in keeping with the police and public’s idea of what a homeless person appears like) behind me. Clearly they are making judgments based on appearance of homelessness. I have no doubt that some of the homeless may well be involved in some of the thefts. But the police take that as a reason/excuse to stop any of the homeless and accuse – or as they probably claim ask – about the stolen property. Again, while the Park was open and media, City government and politicians attention was focused on the homeless situation this type of harassment was greatly reduced. While some of the thefts are being committed by the “regular citizens” the police do not walk up to “regular citizens” on the street and in effect accuse them of being thieves, wanting the stolen items back. Hmmm?? I wonder what you would need to file a human rights complain against the Abbotsford Police for this clear prejudice and stereotyping?

The one thing that is clear is that in none of these cases where a social or outreach worker contacted by the police – as per the stated/claimed City policy.
Clearly one of the benefits of the Park that was lost when it was closed down by the City was a place to direct the homeless to that was “open for business” 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Now it appears it is easier to just return to old behaviours than it is to work out and implement new procedures for interfacing with the homeless residents/population of the City.

Clearly the big disadvantage for the homeless in the City that came from the closing of “Compassion Park” was the removal of all the media attention. It appears that without the threat of wide exposure of bad behaviour posed by the media, the City does not feel the same need to behave in a rational, intelligent, humane or compassionate way.

Myself? Well I am continuing to try to keep the citizens of Abbotsford thinking about ways they can help those members of the community in need. I am hoping that the charities and other local groups who have become aware of the homeless and poverty issues will be able to come together to accomplish some of the things that need to be done. Although I must admit it is a little frustration to read about Victoria breaking ground for the type of facility this community could use for the homeless while in Abbotsford they are just about to have the first meeting to plan for the wet/cold weather shelter (and I ask what about food?) for this coming, looming winter.

I am also experimenting/exploring the difficulties involved in moving on and transitioning off the streets. I am in one of the only 14 “supported independent living” (aka 2nd stage housing) units in the City priced at the shelter rate of $325.
I am upstairs at the Salvation Army in one of their rooms. I continue to work on my mental health and on job searching – although I hope to avoid accounting and find something that contributes to improving the plight of those in need. I have had several people tell me I should write a book so that is a project I am getting an outline/start on. Right now cash flow is a real problem although I do work part time in the Salvation Army emergency shelter. I have applied for PPMB since on that I can earn and keep $500 a month before the government takes dollar for dollar away (and where is the incentive to work in that idea?). The timing is such that I will either have to get around to meetings for a few days by bus and begging rides OR driving without insurance until the money hits the bank and I have the cash to buy it. Oh well, I should write about the problems in trying to transition off the streets – the public thinks of it as sooo easy , when in fact it is a real pain and a difficult journey.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?